Frequently Asked Questions
I have moved since I last voted. What should I do?
I’m worried that I may have been purged. What should I do?
If it’s been a while since you voted, you should check your registration here. If you do not see your name listed, complete a new registration online at voteohio.gov or by submitting this paper form to your county board of elections. Be sure to register or update your registration by October 5, 2020.
When is the last day that I can register to vote for the Presidential election?
Ohio’s voter registration deadline is October 5, 2020. You must be registered by this date if this is the first time you’ve registered to vote in Ohio.
I am a student who is registered to vote where I live during the school year, but I am currently staying somewhere else because of the coronavirus. Where should I request my ballot if I want to vote by mail?
VOTE BY MAIL
I already know I want to vote by mail this November. When can I request an absentee ballot?
What if I don’t have access to a printer to print my absentee ballot request form?
The Secretary of State will mail all registered voters an absentee application around Labor Day. Check here to make sure your registration is up to date to ensure that you receive your application in the mail.
What’s the deadline for returning a ballot?
Ballots must be postmarked by Monday, November 2 or dropped off to the Board of Elections by 7:30pm Election Day, November 3.
How much postage do I need to put on my ballot?
Is voting by mail safe?
Voting by mail is safe. In fact, you can track your ballot from the moment you request it until it’s received by your county board of elections. Once your ballot is received, it is securely stored until it is counted. If you would prefer not to put your absentee ballot in the mail, you can also return it to your county board of election’s secure drop box.
Am I allowed to print out more than one copy of the absentee ballot request form?
Yes! You can print out as many absentee ballot applications as you need. Here’s a link to a PDF: https://www.ohiosos.gov/globalassets/elections/forms/11-a_english.pdf
Is there an absentee ballot application in Spanish?
EARLY IN-PERSON VOTING
I like voting early in person at my board of elections. Will it still be open for voting during the pandemic?
The state is preparing to have in person early voting available this fall. Each county board of elections will be taking measures to maintain social-distancing and sanitize voting equipment to make it safer to vote. Evening and weekend hours are available. View the schedule of early voting hours here.
Where is my early voting center?
What ID do I need to bring?
If you are voting early in person, you will be asked to provide your Ohio driver’s license or state ID number OR the last 4 digits of your social security number. A valid Ohio ID is not required to vote early in person.
ELECTION DAY VOTING
I like the tradition of voting on Election Day. Can I still do that this fall?
Election officials are preparing to hold Election Day polling places open on November 3 from 6:30am – 7:30pm. However, because of COVID-19, your polling place may have changed. Check your polling place before you vote.
What Election Day ID do I need?
Ohio accepts many forms of identification, even if you do not possess an Ohio driver’s license. Additional forms of identification include a utility bill, cell phone bill, bank statement, government check or paycheck with your name and current address. View the full list of acceptable IDs here.
I want to be ready to vote when my ballot arrives! How can I see what’s going to be on my ballot?
I have a voting question. Is there someone who can help me with my question or problem voting?
Yes, call the non-partisan hotline 866-OUR-VOTE if you have questions or problems voting.
- Secretary of State’s Elections website: voteohio.gov
- How to apply for an absentee ballot: https://bit.ly/requestaballotOhio
- Directory of Boards of Elections: https://bit.ly/OHBOEs
- Spreadsheet of Boards of Elections with info on drop boxes and open hours etc: https://bit.ly/BOEdetails
- Absentee ballot application form: https://bit.ly/ohvotebymailapp
- PDF of Absentee ballot form (to print multiple copies): https://www.ohiosos.gov/globalassets/elections/forms/11-a_english.pdf
- Absentee ballot request form in Spanish: https://www.sos.state.oh.us/globalassets/elections/forms/11-a_spanish.pdf
- View what’s on your ballot: https://www.ohiosos.gov/elections/voters/toolkit/sample-ballot/
- Candidate information: Vote411.org
- Judicial candidate information: judicialvotescount.org
- Track your ballot: https://bit.ly/OHtrackballot
- How to fill out your absentee ballot request form (video): https://bit.ly/VBMhowtoapply
- Advocate for better elections in the future: https://bit.ly/VoteSafeOhio
WATCH: How to Vote by Mail in Ohio